The built-in microphone on your iPhone or iPad is really, really high-quality…good enough to do VO auditions with.
And because I often found that I and other actors I knew were sometimes asked to audition for VO when not at home or near our agents’ office and didn’t have access to our recording equipment, I decided to add that option to Rehearsal® Pro. RP will allow you to import your VO audition script, record it, and convert it to an MP3 file – and then mail it to whoever you like: your agent, a casting director, or to yourself.
The process is exactly like recording and naming scene audio for on-camera work. If you know how to do that already, just skip down to step 9 in the process below.
Here’s a step by step how-to on recording and submitting a quick VO audition:
- Forward your attached PDF VO audition script, just as you would an on-camera script, to your script+USERNAME Rehearsal® Pro email address.
- Open Add new script and add the VO audition script to your library.
- When the script is added, tap Save on the Script Info screen to skip (unless you want to add info).
- Tap on Rehearsal to skip the Prep Script step (you don’t need that).
- If you’d like to mark up your script with highlights, feel free to do so. Review your script and make your choices.
- Once you’ve reviewed your script and are ready to record your audition, hold your phone about 6 inches from your face, tap the red recording icon on the left end of the bottom toolbar, and record your audition, scrolling as you need to to move through the script.
- When finished, tap the gray square-in-circle Stop button, just like you would if you were recording an on-camera scene.
- Enter a name for your audition in the Name the Scene screen that follow, then tap Save.
- Now, tap the “hamburger” menu in the upper right hand corner, and choose Email scene audio as MP3.
- If you want, edit the default name Rehearsal® Pro provides for your audition. When you’ve finished, tap Done on the keyboard.
- In the TO box of the next screen, enter the email address for the person you want to receive the MP3 file. Then tap Send. Rehearsal® Pro will then convert your audition to an MP3, and will email it to the addressee you selected.
And that’s it!
One thing to note is that this option is only meant for short clips, like 30 – 60 second commercials and similar quick items. If you try to use this to email scene audio, the email attachment size limits will likely prevent you from doing so.
Return to Help home